20 September 2014

Kajimaya

While walking to our local grocery store, Kanehide, we were passed by what appeared to be a parade. The front two cars were both convertibles and had bright decorations all over. In the backseats of both cars were much older individuals, two men in the first car and two women in the second car. They were followed by several additional cars also displaying decorations, and the passengers in these vehicle were passing out wind catchers and bags of candies. Ryan and I were each given these party favors, and were wondering if this was part of an election or what?



My friend, Maiko, explained to me that when people achieve their mid-90s, it is celebrated with a "kajimaya." Kajimaya is the japanese word for "windmill," symbolizing an individual's circular journey through life. I think we say, "Coming full circle."

1 comment:

  1. Man I love stuff like this. More positivity in the world!

    ReplyDelete