I have been told that the moving around every 2-3 years is one of the great things about being in the military: you never get bored! This is also one of the things that stinks about the military, because you meet good people and either you or they leave before you've had your fill. I think it is most difficult to be the one left behind, and this is the case today.
Today we said a temporary farewell to our good friends (and my spearfishing compadre) June and Ian Laughlin. Temporary because the Navy is truly a small organization and its pretty common to run across old friends unexpectedly all the time; and some friendships are too important to leave to chance. I have no doubt we will be seeing June and Ian on a vacation in the very near future.
Ian and I made our old CO's going away gift...a pretty cool spear gun mock up with his name engraved on the side. I know Ian wanted something special that he could put on his desk. In our time out here we have never used a spear gun, and there was just no way to make a pole spear into a something you could put on a desk, so I went a little more traditional. Not having my own shop it was a pain, but well worth any aggravation for a great friend, mentor and the best spear fishing buddy a guy could hope for.
Fair winds and we will see you guys really soon!
Today we said a temporary farewell to our good friends (and my spearfishing compadre) June and Ian Laughlin. Temporary because the Navy is truly a small organization and its pretty common to run across old friends unexpectedly all the time; and some friendships are too important to leave to chance. I have no doubt we will be seeing June and Ian on a vacation in the very near future.
Ian and I made our old CO's going away gift...a pretty cool spear gun mock up with his name engraved on the side. I know Ian wanted something special that he could put on his desk. In our time out here we have never used a spear gun, and there was just no way to make a pole spear into a something you could put on a desk, so I went a little more traditional. Not having my own shop it was a pain, but well worth any aggravation for a great friend, mentor and the best spear fishing buddy a guy could hope for.
Fair winds and we will see you guys really soon!
No comments:
Post a Comment