04 September 2014
Afternoon Birding, part 2
There are so many shorebirds in Awase at this time of year! The scope really allows me to see much more detail. Birds that were difficult for me to distinguish are now so obvious, or at least I have the equipment to see the important field marks.What's fun and challenging about shorebirds is that you might have one representative of a species thrown in the mix of several hundred individuals of 2-3 other species. I used to detest shorebirds. What a difference a scope makes.
On this cloudy day, it was difficult to get a good photo of any of the birds I saw, with either my camera or via digiscoping. The sun broke through for a brief moment when I had the scope on a Greater Sand Plover. I got lucky with a few good shots.
The tide was coming in, and several birds would perch on the same rock. They don't seem to care that different species are sharing the rock or the foraging area. I know that's anthropomorphizing, but the different species seem to have two common goals: 1) eat, and 2) seek shelter on the rocks.
The tide came in, most of the birds flew away, and it was time for me to head home before the Okinawa City traffic became too unbearable. There is a building I pass on my way home that has a large raptor replica at the top. It does not look like any of the raptors that frequent Okinawa, so I wonder if there is a story behind this or it is a gaudy relic of some pachinko parlor gone bust?
One more shot of my Greater Sand Plover. I love the expression here!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment