18 August 2014

Super Hotel

I am in Tokyo for the 26th International Ornithological Congress. This is my first IOC. They are held every two years, and the organizers try to hold the meeting on a different continent every year to allow researchers from all over the world an opportunity to participate. It is my good fortune to be in Japan the first time this meeting is held in Japan!

My accommodation for the meeting is a room in one of Japan's business hotel chains: Super Hotel. My coworkers warned me that it would not be a fun stay, but I was excited to see how a business hotel operates.  My room was the smallest room on the 10th floor. My suitcase is American-sized, so while it fit inside the room it created a bit of a hurdle for walking around. Good thing I have this place to myself!  


View the following pictures with the knowledge that I am standing just in front of the closed door of my room. The right side is the room:



Directly in front of me is the bathroom. The door to the bathroom must remain closed so that the steam from the hot shower doesn't set of the smoke alarm, or so the sign tells me in English.


Good thing I bought my own toiletries, because I'm not sure I could figure out what to do with powdered soaps and shampoos!


This hotel is very close to the meeting venue, with several 7-11 marts on the way. The Family Mart is a bit further down, but it's not as though I'll be looking forward to lounging in my cigar box for the week!

2 comments:

  1. A friend of mine invited me to join her in London and the room we shared was so small like the one you have pictured here yet the bathroom was GIGANTIC. Haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. A large bathroom would have been nice! The bathroom was Super-ER cozy: elevated floor made the ceiling height less than 6-ft and a toggle switch between the sink and the shower, like an RV. The only saving grace was the heated toilet seat, a universal feature in Japan and one that we've grown very fond of in our own home. Take that, big British bathrooms! ;)

    ReplyDelete