02 August 2014

Fuji Revisited

It's been a week since my Fuji climb, and my knees are still killing me. Why must our bodies break down? I'm find with a mortal life, but can't we be nicely oiled and in prime working condition for the duration?  Anyway, I digress....

I made a compilation of the sets of stamps I received on the Fuji hike. On the way up, most stations offered two stamps at a time. The red stamp is the sunrise stamp you get at Station 10. On the way down, the stations offered anywhere from two to five, depending on how many you wanted, which depended on how many yen you had with you. Oh yes, people, you pay for the stamps. It is advised to keep lots of change to pay precise amounts. Honestly, I was not at all concerned. This was a once in a lifetime hike, and I was getting my stamps.


I *briefly* thought about climbing the other trails leading to the summit, and then my knees ached, and I admired my Fuji stick all the more.

Also, Ryan received his postcard in record time! Here is the front, a typical fall Fuji scene, which is not at all the way the mountain landscape greeted us in summer:


And my heartfelt note to Ryan, with frozen fingers after viewing the sunrise:


The post office at the top of Fuji is popular because they have special stamps and postmarks. Who says real mail is a thing of the past?!

No comments:

Post a Comment