20 August 2014

Meeting Hooky!

There are probably many amazing talks going on. However, I elected to spend the morning birding at one of the wetland areas in Tokyo. This is probably my last trip to mainland for a while, and so my last opportunity to see some bird species in mainland Japan that don't make their way down to Okinawa. 

One of the birds species I saw was a White-cheeked Starling - a whole flock of them! These have eluded me in Okinawa, so I was happy to get them here.




I visited an area called Yatsu-higata. There is a nice observation center that includes an observation platform and a deck, but it did not open until 10:00am, which helps a birder NONE. After navigating the trains and subways in Tokyo - I can't tell the difference, but anyone in Tokyo will let you know there is a tremendous difference - I would have enjoyed a nice glass wall in an air-conditioned nature center through which to observe some of the shorebirds and wading birds. I wanted to get back in time for the afternoon talks, so the morning around the wetland would have to do. Fortunately, there were a couple shaded areas that offered some much appreciated protection from the sun. Tokyo in August is hot, folks. I planted myself under a shade for the next couple of hours. 


These mudflats seem nestled in the city, but the proximity to ocean means a good complement of shorebirds to the wading birds you'd expect around a pond. I timed my visit to coincide with low tide, the information readily available on the website for Yatsu-higata. First sign I was on the right path to the wetland area: the first gull I've seen since moving to Okinawa!


Ryan and I have often commented on the noticeable absence of gulls in Okinawa. As Florida natives, there are few places you can go and not hear the incessant giggles of Laughing Gulls, accompanied by several other species. It was nice to see gulls, even though they were not nearly as interesting as the other shorebirds in the wetlands.





A common species of Tokyo that I was hoping to see was the Azure-winged Magpie. Turns out, I'd heard these guys long before I saw one. They are everywhere! None of them were very cooperative in perching in a beautiful tree for a photo in a natural setting, but I'll settle for something in focus. I assume these were younger birds, as their long tail seemed especially weathered. Still beautiful birds!


A Carrion Crow made for a pleasant change from the usual, Large-billed Crows that dominate Okinawa. I imagine they wreak havoc on young nestlings the way crows do, but it was just nice to see something different.


And something familiar: a young Brown-eared Bulbul!


I saw new species and familiar species and was satisfied with my morning. I thought it was time to return to the web of subways and trains to ensure I was back in plenty of time. Plus, the Super Hotel has funny rules about not accessing your room between the hours of 1000 and 1600. Whatever. I had every intention of having a shower rather than expose the rest of the meeting to the funk that is a girl sweating for several hours while riding a train/subway, walking several kilometers, and birding in the Tokyo heat. I did stop and smell the flowers on the way back to the station, minding the diurnal moths having their breakfast.


Green spaces in urban centers always give me joy. I am not a city person, but it is amazing how people who live in large cities take pleasure in the green spaces of their cities the world over. Very few exceptions on that point. There were several Japanese people walking around the wetland while I was birding. I exchanged several "Ohaiyoo gozaimasu" and "Atsui desu ne?" Building bridges! One of the things that unites us all is our appreciate of natural spaces, perhaps because we all respond positively one some level when we are outside.


No comments:

Post a Comment