18 August 2014

Cicadas at Rikkyo University

My first full day of presentations and posters! It is so good to be able to rub elbows with other researchers, graduate students, faculty members, and wildlife professionals who focus on birds. As is usual with meetings, the breadth, depth, and quality of talks is quite varied, but what is fun is the mix of species, communities and locations. I thought about keeping a meeting life list: how many different species would I see featured in the 15-minute talks? I quickly nixed the idea, because it is too cheesy, but an international meeting makes for an exciting virtual life list. 

Summer in Tokyo is HOT. Not as hot and humid as Okinawa, but fairly darn close. Another commonality: the cicadas! Rikkyo University, the host of the 26th IOC, has several mature trees on the campus, and these trees are riddled with cicadas. I have seen several meeting attendees take photos of these insects after finding a cicada low on the trunk of these trees. Here's my own addition to the mix, although I have access to these guys in Okinawa:


1 comment:

  1. I remember hearing these for the first time during a hot, humid summer in Richmond, VA and thinking it was some kind of alarm going off! Incredible sounds for such little buggers.

    ReplyDelete