03 December 2012

Black-winged Stilts

Once again, the canal on Camp Foster is a hot-spot for some new shorebird species!  Now, I've seen these Black-winged Stilts since my first day in Okinawa.  They look very similar to our Black-necked Stilts in the US: those long pink legs stand out!  I'd walked down to the canal at least twice before today to take some pictures, but I either frightened them away before I could take the photo OR there weren't any.  As it turns out, there is a small continuation of the canal just outside the gate on the public side.  If the shorebirds don't want to be seen, I now know where they hang out.


The stilts are hanging out with Common Redshanks, quite a few, and that is a Common Greenshank in the upper left corner of the photo.  Yes, this birding trip was submitted to eBird.

No comments:

Post a Comment