19 July 2014

Benoki Dam

I planned a trip far to the north, the last town on the western side of Okinawa before Hedo Point: Benoki. There is a dam there that is listed as a birding hot-spot on eBird, and it seems to be a reliable place to see Okinawa Rails. I got up very early so I could be there right at sunrise. The early morning rise was worth the effort because I saw my first Okinawa Rail running across the road as I arrived at the lower portion of the dam! I parked the car to see if I could catch a better look at it and snap a few pictures. While walking along the road, I spotted three more rails walking along the stream just below the road. The early morning light and distance made an excellent picture nearly impossible, but I was satisfied with my first sighting:


Along the same stretch of road at the base of the hill, I saw two more Okinawa endemics: 
the Okinawa Woodpecker 


and the Ryukyu Robin, a juvenile


and an adult.


This is an incredible birding destination. Okinawa is one of those places where birders will come in search of those species they can't find anywhere else. I saw three of those within an hour while walking along a deserted road at the base of a dam. What luck! Of course, other Okinawa regulars made appearances, including some insects. 


I made my way to the top of the dam, which is another visit in itself. There were four stations just outside the restrooms that recreated the night sky at different times of the year. This must be an excellent place for stargazing. I spent a bit more time near the main parking area, and then drove around a portion of the perimeter of the reservoir created by the dam. There were Okinawa Rails out and about, although much more difficult to see them in the thick understory. The heat got the better of my by 1000, so I headed south to join Ryan for the rest of the weekend, but still glowing from the fantastic birding that started it all!


No comments:

Post a Comment