09 June 2014

Bali: Sanur


We are in the southern hemisphere!  Nothing like a hand-held GPS to confirm what you already know: we are not in the N/W area that includes Kansas anymore.  I remember first moving to Japan and being excited about seeing N/E coordinates.  S/E is another quadrant entirely, and yet not so far away that you don't have a Dunkin Donuts on the nearest corner from your hotel.


One of the first things you notice when walking anywhere in Bali are the offerings.  They adorn the fronts of businesses and various statues/shrines that pepper the area.  They are prettiest in the morning: brilliant blossoms in a green palm front basket, sometimes with incense, and the occasional cookie or sweet.  As the day goes on, they are crushed by vehicles and passers by.  I am guilty of flattening more than one offering because I was so engaged in admiring the buildings and looking for birds.  The Eurasian Tree Sparrows are more than happy to finish them off.  The first day in Bali screamed "exotic" to me.  It reminded me of a line from Emma Thompson's movie adaptation of "Sense and Sensibility": The air is full of spices.


We took a stroll on the beach nearest our hotel and enjoyed the colorful boats that line the beaches. A salesman - one of many - attempted to entice us to take a tour, but we were more interested in walking around at that moment.




Several more "Bali boats" without the additional supports lined the remaining beach, so no worries about a run on the boats.



As anxious as we were to get in the water, the popularity of the beaches made us opt for land on our first day.  So many people outside enjoying the day!  


Notice the kites in the distance?  Large kites, every day, is another thing one notices almost immediately when in Bali.  I have no idea what the shapes and colors mean, if anything, but it is fun to see them against the sky.  We saw prettier kites for sale in some of the markets.  I wondered why we did not see more of these being flown...


After spending some time on the beach, we walked through Sanur looking for a bar or cafe, something to "rehydrate."  When I envision southeast Asia, I imagine more people out walking or on bicycles than on motorized vehicles.  These imaginings usually assume ample sidewalks or otherwise marked areas for walking.  There are many people walking, to be sure, but the reality is that many modes of transportation all share relatively narrow roads in sometimes cramped spaces.  My western idea of "personal space" may need some down-sizing, and perhaps I should consider carrying things on top of my head rather than inside bulky backpacks and purses?


Less crowded areas offer opportunities to appreciate the differences in architecture, detailings on buildings and walls, and the many little things that you never thought you would need time to appreciate.  Even the graffiti is clever.


We opted for coffee and smoothies first: cool and refreshing.  Sadly, we consumed our beverages before thinking to photograph them.  I must get better about capturing the foods and presentations of dishes when we travel.  Ryan was especially taken with the tables, most of which are huge slabs of wood, cross-sections of trees that grew over several (hundred?) decades and were probably felled in less than an hour.  The rate of deforestation in countries that are in desperate need of money to purchase basic resources makes me sad, but I can see why westerners all want their own dining table from Indonesian hardwoods.


Always a good time to enjoy the country's beer!


Bellies full and thirsts quenched, we made our way back to our hotel for the evening to plan activities for the next day.  In addition, time for me to admire the avian species - some new, some familiar - that I'd observed in the hotel.  Birding helps me find natural treasures even in the middle of the city!



The pool offers a little something for everyone:


Our hotel did not have a spa, so we had to tend to our own beauty regimes:


Some photos are too good not to share, even if I can not come up with a clever introduction or any little thing that matches the rest of the post:

No comments:

Post a Comment