I walked around the grounds of our hotel before breakfast for a bit more birding. The sunbirds were everywhere, including one male who sadly seemed more interested in defending his territory against his own reflection.
The gardens and birds were very cooperative this morning. I am kicking myself for not having a proper field guide for Indonesia, but I challenge anyone who judges to find a good one for this country! I have an idea of what I'm seeing, but am trying to get lots of photos to compare with...something...once I get home. The sunrise, clear skies, and blossoms all came together for great photos and good birding.
During breakfast, I noticed a clumsy bird that seemed to "plop" on the tree trunks rather than land. Binoculars revealed a lizard with gliding apparatus. Incredible. When traveling in east Asia, I feel like the most incompetent biologist ever, but quickly forget my own shortcomings and revel in the wonder that is wildlife!
Johnny picked us up in the dragon-mobile with Paulos in two, and the four of us made our way to the airport. Johnny took two wrong turns in the process, and Ryan joked that he was trying to keep us in Flores! Guess you had to be there for that joke. We flew one of the regional airlines that services within-Indonesia transport to the less popular islands for tourists, All was well until the landing, which was a bit "heavy." Our oxygen masks fell, and our seats were the focus of several cell phones and cameras, presumably so everyone could capture the moment. We had the best seats in the house. Other than this surprise, Trans Nusa was very good to us, and I love the logo.
Mr. Jaga met us at the airport, and we made our way to Ubud, the city of artisans somewhat in the center of Bali. Along the way, Ryan asked about the dining options that included three or four "ladies companion" as part of the evening. Bali has something for everyone!
The city center offers many interesting statues as well. We noticed these on our first arrive, but were too slow with the camera to capture them. Some of the statues are immense. I can't help but think that the morning commute would be more interesting if you had larger than life statues at regular intervals along the way.
Our home for the next few nights was recommended to us by our friend, Katie. She lived in Indonesia for more than two years and was kind enough to give us tips during the planning process. She was spot-on for our residence in Ubud: Bebek Tepi Sawah, a rice-paddy themed hotel, restaurant, and spa. I think Ryan referred to it as the Walt Disney World of rice paddies, but that only includes the grounds. We were greeted with a refreshing drink, cool towel, and a beautiful room.
Our driver explained to us that this was a famous place for dining among the Balinese. That may be the case, but I was more interested in exploring the rice paddies for birds. Walking around was fine, but I was able to get some great looks from our balcony, including a White-breasted Waterhen with nesting material.
What better way to reflect on our time in Indonesia than in total luxury?! We are going to have an amazing time in Ubud.






No comments:
Post a Comment