04 May 2014
More May Birding
I treated myself to a morning of birding at Kin Agricultural Fields, which is the most diverse birding hot-spot according to eBird. There is always plenty to see in the rice paddies, and this morning was no exception. In addition to the birds, the plot used for demonstrations for holidays when the nearby campground is full was decorated with carp in honor of Children's Day.
This is our second Children's Day. Last year, we called it "Carp Day" and were never really sure when it was. We like the decorations, which can be seen hanging from houses, the expressway, and most parks. The looked especially pretty over the water this morning, despite the gloomy skies:
I saw a strange thrush-like bird at the park and was convinced it was a new species, but what species was it? I still have no idea. I posted it to the local bird listserv, a Yahoo! group called "Kantori Mailing List." One regular participant said I had photographed a "wet Blue Rock-thrush." I am still not convinced, and resolve to only use the list for unique sightings on Okinawa. No more participation from me!
I took the long way home from Kin to see how the agricultural fields of Yaka compared. The fields of Yaka have potential, but are not as large and do not seem to have the variety of crops that Kin offers. They are also not as proximate to the water, which probably gives Kin the lead in terms of shorebird diversity. Yaka was not without its fun. I saw the always pleasing Common Kingfisher:
On a lucky spot, I saw a strange "egret" fly over and followed it to see what it was. No egret, but a Chinese Pond Heron! Not unheard of in Okinawa, but not common either. I was not lucky enough to get a very good photo, but it was enough to document the sighting. And no, I did not share it with the Kantori List, for fear they'd say it was merely a "muddy Cattle Egret."
Even the agricultural constructions to keep nuisance birds away sometimes offer a new species:
While Ryan is away, there is no one to share my new species sightings with. Buddy was a captive audience, until I let him out of his cage. We all miss Ryan when he is away.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment