I took the afternoon off from work so I could rescue Ryan's motorcycle from where it was being held on Kadena, uncovered and completely exposed to the elements. The saga of the motorcycle will be part of the family lore of tragedy and injustice, and there's no need to say anything other than the only positive thing that can be said: it all ended today!
Afterwards, I treated myself to some afternoon birding at Hiyagon. To reach my birding spot, I park at a public park adjacent to the Hiyagon and hop a small fence to look at birds. The park is a great place for getting exercise and being outside, both for individuals and for families. The public restrooms are clean and a fantastic relief if I've been out for a while. It is also completely overrun with cats and kittens. As much as I love cats and have had moments of being that crazy cat lady next door, I can't help but wonder how many shorebirds are taken by these cats, which are so close to the hiyagon area? In reality, I think there are plenty of Rock Pigeons that hang out in the parking lot that the cats don't really mess with a Common Sandpiper, but you never know...
I quickly made my way to the Hiyagon and saw my first EVER Black-faced Spoonbill! A lifer! I've never been so happy for a birding opportunity. I don't usually go in the afternoon, so today was a reminder that you never know what you'll find. In the middle of the afternoon, there weren't many people around and not much traffic, so I was able to get some excellent looks at this individual. This is one species I've been hoping to see for several months now. I was happy to see one, and ecstatic to get to spend some time with it, get several good looks, and more than a few decent pictures.
Even Ryan was happy for me when we spoke that evening. I've talked about this species enough that he knew exactly what I'd seen that day. Not an island endemic, but a cool species that I wouldn't have a prayer of seeing back in the United States. A good day, and a great start to the weekend.

I am terrified and disgusted by birds in general but you make me excited for them. Perplexing.
ReplyDelete