21 November 2012

Thanksgiving in the Barracks

For Thanksgiving, the 3rd Med Battalion held a Thanksgiving potluck in the barracks where most of the enlisted members live.  It was the largest Thanksgiving I'd ever seen, and probably the largest I'm likely to see ever in my lifetime.  We purchase two 20+ pound turkey dinners, complete with sides, each estimated to serve between 8 and 12 people.  Our two turkeys were two of at least five turkeys that I saw, and there were at least three hams.  Sides included mac-n-cheese, mashed potatoes, green beans, sweet potatoes, stuffing, gravy, and then some fixin's that I didn't recognize.  It was amazing, but perhaps the most amazing thing was that there wasn't ANY meat left when it came time for round two for whoever wanted more.

Sometimes, we don't realize just how far away Okinawa is from our families.  Holidays have a way of making us acknowledge the miles and appreciate what we have and who we have with us.  There may not be access to quick flights home, but at least we can fill our bellies in an attempt to fill the void, and take comfort knowing there are lots of others doing the same.


No comments:

Post a Comment