However, it is wintertime here. The temperature of the water hovers around 70-degrees Fahrenheit, much like the freshwater springs of Florida. It's not terrible, but not conducive for snorkeling around for several hours in just a tankini. (Ryan looks GREAT in his tankini.) One snorkeling spot had some tidepools that might offer a little outdoors distraction, so we decided to play near the water but not necessarily IN the water.
The trek to the water seemed more like a terrestrial adventure at first. Clad in Chacos, which before today had safely and comfortably taken my anywhere, I wondered if my hiking shoes wouldn't be more appropriate for the day? Ryan reassured me that I'd be fine. In fact, he asked me to imagine Okinawans walking at a quick clip with nothing other than plastic flip-flops. I've never been much for grace and balance on my feet, even with the sturdiest shoes, and I can now add "Okinawans" to the growing list of groups who/that are more sure-footed than I me (or is it "than I?").
My favorite part of our journey to the water's edge was when Ryan told me, "You can use the ropes for balance, but don't trust them." We did make it down, and truthfully the rocks on land were much more forgiving than the rocks along the tidepools. Razor sharp! I was thankful for my water sandals, but wondering if they would survive my entire stay in the Ryukyu archipelago. Once the footing was mastered, or at least "firm," I noticed how many little things were all around me! This was my first time getting to play in a tidepool, and I'm certain there were many more things present than I noticed.
After we had our fill of little creatures, we trekked back up the way we came and played on top of the bluffs overlooking this part of the East China Sea. We had such a good time, we started planning for REAL snorkeling gear that would help us withstand winter water temperatures. As luck would have it, we got a lead on a good place to get custom wetsuits during the Thanksgiving party in the barracks two days later. Time to make use of the underwater camera!



WOW! I don't think I realized that the ocean view was so prevalent over so much of the island (island?)...So gorgeous! And I'm sorry, but those outfits y'all are wearing don't have me convinced that it is winter there.
ReplyDeleteAnd yes, Okinawans are more sure-footed than "I". The "am" is dropped.