10 October 2014

Typhoon Vongfong

Well, just in time for the weekend, we have a typhoon. Maybe a super typhoon, but it depends on what language you speak and where you get your information, as with many things. We were prepared with a well-stocked typhoon kit, and we promised our parents they would hear from us once the coast was clear. What we didn't know at the time was that this storm would be slow, steady, and seemingly never-ending. It would be a very long weekend indoors, but one in which we never lost power and watched "The Walking Dead" to our hearts' content.

We had plenty of supplies.



Yamaneko spent most of the weekend like this:


Buddy seemed completely unfazed by the whole thing. I think he was happy for the extended weekend from his cage, save those hours when we slept:



The stray "Black Kitty" found a corner just outside of one of our sets of sliding glass windows that was somewhat buffered from the winds and rain. Kind of makes you wonder where all the birds and other small critters go when the sh*t hits the fan?


My banana bunch that I just recently admired took quite a beating, and it was growing rapidly with such promise! The winds blew it this way...


...and that way, but the bunch stayed intact.


Until after the weekend, when I found it and the entire tree it was attached to flat in our driveway. So sad. This was likely our last shot at Okinawa bananas. Although we must rely on the grocery store for our banana smoothies, we were very lucky to never have lost power nor sustained any damage to our home or vehicles. On weekends like this, I am very happy that we live inland, enough away from the coast to avoid the worst of typhoons and super typhoons.

1 comment:

  1. Geez! I'm glad you guys made it out okay! Sucks about the bananas though.

    ReplyDelete