26 October 2014

Ishigaki - Day 1

We planned to visit the two largest and southernmost islands of Japan: Ishigaki and Iriomote. These are popular destinations for Japanese for the warm climates and slower pace of life. There is a Club Med in Ishigaki that we've heard is very popular with American families on Okinawa. We didn't go that route, but arranged for comfortable accommodations and rental cars on both islands for the freedom to explore and bird and snorkel on our own to our hearts' content. We flew into Ishigaki, checked into our hotel, and then set about exploring the island. I was hoping I would see the Ryukyu sub-species of the Crested Serpent-Eagle. Within an hour, I had my species! Powerlines and supporting poles are great perches for raptors.


The winds gave me a great look at the crest, which I'm certain is even more impressive when raised by the bird rather than assisted by the elements.  This was a very cooperative individual. It allowed me to get very close and let me know when I'd encroached on its personal space.


Hearing the call was fantastic - the bird and behavior! My first thought was that I was too close, but we heard another individual vocalizing from across the agricultural fields. Our bird and the other duetted a few times and were still going at it when we decided to leave our bird in peace. A bit down the road I saw a sign for what I hoped would mean more birds:


The bridges of Ishigaki pay homage to the wildlife. Nearly all of the bridges and overpasses feature birds or butterflies or something unique to the southern extreme of Japan. The wetlands were more like mudflats due to the low tide. Immediately, I was sorry I opted to leave the spotting scope at home. Lesson learned: ALWAYS bring the scope! This was the best I could do:


We found a cafe and decided to try some of the local cuisine. Ishigaki is known for its beef, but we thought we'd save that for dinner. Cafe Nubo felt like a Starbucks in Greece with its white walls, large windows looking out onto the water, and soft jazz, as though Norah Jones released an album of American music sung in Japanese.


It was a lovely day and we made our way to the northernmost point of Ishigaki, crazy-shaped island that it is. The northern tip of the island is a long, narrow, mountainous strip of land.


I delighted at the Ruddy Kingfisher mural! The writing might be a wonderful tribute to this cool bird, or it could be an advertisement - an American in Japan never knows!


The travel and exploring was catching up with us, and it was a little early for dinner. We headed back to our hotel for a bit of relaxing before dinner. I had some photos to go through, and Ryan opted for the nap. Hotel rooms in Ishigaki reminded me of Tokyo: VERY cozy.


On our way to enjoy some Ishigaki beef for dinner, I noticed the manhole covers and couldn't believe I'd forgotten to take note earlier! I think my pictures of these places and their manhole covers are better than a t-shirt.


No comments:

Post a Comment