27 July 2013

Yoron-jima, Day 2

Our second day on Yoron began lazily - sleeping in, wishing the coffee was better at the breakfast buffet, and then hanging out waiting for our husbands to arrive just before lunch.  Once the guys arrived, we plotted the day: rent scooters, go look for star sand, and enjoy a good dinner somewhere.  A good plan, but I should have known we were in for quite the day when I crashed my scooter into some stairs before even leaving the parking lot.  Ryan reminded me where the brakes were, and then he had us ride around in a circle, turning both left and right, and stopping in a controlled manner before we went out onto actual roads.  Here are three of the four of us at one of our stops around the island:


Ryan and I did look for star sand, but had to settle for a lady giving us a complimentary bag of us when we left. Star sand can be found on a sandbar that is only visible at low tide on one side of the island.  It was a long swim out for Ryan and I, and an even longer swim back because somehow the current was pulling us away from the shore even though the tide was coming in.  We found another beach that looked promising, and June and I enjoyed the last minutes of sunshine while the boys went underwater.


I admired my Chaco tanlines:


June was braver than I, going in the water without booties and close to dark:


We looked for sea glass on the beach, and I noticed a sign.  It could have been warning us, or it could have been giving us the name of the beach.  I'll never know.


A last glimpse of sunshine, and I need to point out that the boys were STILL out in the water when I snapped this. So much for being in by dark.


Getting back to Pricia was a nightmare.  We lost Ian, then we didn't make it back to the gas station in time to fuel the scooters, and we made it home only to find Ian waiting for us after we'd given him up for dead.  We did make it to the restaurant in time for dinner, and Ryan with is Domo Kum shirt was a hit with one of the servers.  I really thought she was going to try to take him home with her.  Here is Ryan with his Domo Kun shirt from earlier in the day:


No comments:

Post a Comment