26 July 2013

Yoron-jima, Day 1

We shared a weekend with some friends on the island of Yoron, just north of Okinawa but in a different prefecture: Kagoshima.  Historically, Yoron-jima used to be the ultimate destination for folks who lived on mainland Japan because it was the southernmost point of the country and offered clear waters, sandy beaches, and everything else you could want from a tropical escape. When the US returned Okinawa and associated islands to Japan in the early 1970s, suddenly Yoron was NOT the southernmost point nor the most tropical destination, and tourism dropped. However, it is still popular because of a short ferry ride from Okinawa and at low tide the island is completely surrounded by the exposed reef, trapping everything inside for an hour or two.  Yoron-jima has a sister city in Mykonos, and so many of the buildings are white with blue trim, making for a lovely picture against the clear waters.



On this day, June and I ventured to the island ahead of our husbands who had to work.  This ferry was HUGE, much larger than the boats of Zamami or Kume.  It was very much like a floating container, for there was no place to sit outside and we were all ushered into rooms with mats, blankets, and the square pillows that typify a ferry voyage.  We chose the smaller of the two rooms, and were joined later by some other travelers.  



Although a ferry this size does not lend itself to pelagic birding, it DOES have a fantastic selection of vending machines.  Yes, I had one on our 9am ferry.


We checked into our room at at the Pricia Resort, which you could tell was probably really lovely back in the day but was in need of a paint job at this point.  Inside was clean and spartan, typical Japanese, but larger than some of the hotel rooms that June has experienced in mainland Japan.  I liked the reading material:


We arrived just before lunch, and availed ourselves of the Greek restaurant in the resort.  The menu was decidedly Japanese, and the soba was excellent, but I must admit that I was hoping for some tzatziki.


After lunch, we rented a car and drove around the island for a "lay of the land."  There were several white-sand beaches all around the island, some of which were also equipped with a boat launch.  Such things are what Ryan and I look for when we visit a new island, as it is easier to launch a kayak from a beach or a launch than to drag it over sharp rocks for any distance.  Low tide was in full swing, and you could see the reef beyond the beach.





I've noticed many of the islands out here using wind turbines, and Yoron-jima is no exception. Solar panels are also in use on selected rooftops, and I think the country as a whole is pushing for more homeowners to get on the solar bandwagon.  Perhaps a result of the Fukushima nuclear plant catastrophe?  Or maybe just a practical solution for these far-flung islands that regularly get hit with typhoons?


Another thing I look for on an island is a campground.  In the summer months, the heat and humidity is unlike anything I've ever experienced, even in Florida.  You'd think that these small islands would assure a constant breeze if not a full-on wind from the ocean.  Not the case.  I am strong enough to admit that I am weak in my need for air-conditioning and a hot shower after a day on an island.  However, Yoron-jima might be a good winter destination as it does offer many small parks and camping areas, all of which are indicated with the same symbol.  This is incredibly helpful, as I STILL don't read kanji.



No comments:

Post a Comment