Odo-komesu Birding
My colleague, Sugiyama-san, told me of a pair of Scaly-sided Merganser at one of his favorite birding spots: Komesu. The signs leading the way said "Odo-komesu," so saying either one will let people know where you went. This was probably the first place I saw many Japanese people with binoculars and cameras. The Scaly-sided Merganser is a rarity for Okinawa, although they do show up with some regularity. I spotted them very quickly, although it was difficult to get a good photos. They were far away and the surf was more than a little choppy. Luckily for me, the pair stayed very close together, allowing me to get somewhat decent shots of both male and female:


The rising sun felt warm on my back, which was otherwise a little cool from the breeze off the waters. I see why this is such a great spot for birds: tons of shorebirds, waders, and ducks all together. I've seen several areas on Okinawa that appear much like this one: rocky flats that are exposed at low tide, but at high tide make for these shallow areas off of a sandy beach. However, I've never seen the number or diversity of birds on an Okinawa shoreline as I saw here. The ducks were far away, so I didn't get too many photos of them worth sharing. However, there were plenty of Dunlins, Kentish Plovers, and Sanderlings to satisfy anyone.
I've seen Dunlins in the US, but today was the first time I saw them in Japan. Not a new species, but a new country in which to record a species! A few Sanderlings landed in a pool near where I was perched, and I was able to get a some good photos.
I enjoyed getting some good looks through my scope at these shorebirds in the morning sun. They, too, seemed to be enjoying the warmth and just waking up to start their day. Not too much foraging while I was there, making for good looks at birds that would sit still for a long time. I am still getting used to looking at shorebirds through my scope. The details I am able to see with the scope vs binoculars are amazing, but the irony is now that I'm not always certain what I'm seeing with such clarity! More mornings like this with a scope and a point-and-shoot will help my confidence.
A couple of Kentish Plovers with their summer plumage helped out with identification.
When I got home, I found Ryan and Kaiju enjoying a pleasant morning without me. I will forever be envious of cats' ability to sleep comfortably wherever. Junior Marines seem to have this ability as well.
That is one cute kitty.
ReplyDeleteSuch an adorable kitty! The following haiku made me think of you:
ReplyDeleterain timpani
against the downspout —
a charm of finches
~Theresa A. Cancro